ads

Monday, December 10, 2012

The Newark Cork Works Company


I found this picture on Facebook and when I found out this factory used to be blocks away from my house, I  knew I had to research it some more.  

I googled the name and this is the first link that had some good info on it:


The spelling is a disaster but the info seems pretty legit.  

"The president of the company is Richard .A. Hensler"

I wonder if this has anything to do with Hensler Street.  I'm sure that a lot of the streets around here are named after rich businessmen.  Not much has changed!

"The company makes now 1,200 kinds of corks and many cork specialties, also utilizing all their cork waste into a marketable product of packing of various kinds. The output of their regular lines is from seven to eight niillinn(million??)"

That's a lot of money!

This Link, Will take you to a page from a ebook with a list of all the companies in Newark, in 1913.

Next time I walk past 39-45 Barbara Street I will have to stop and just imagine that huge factory being there.  They must of knocked it down in the early 20s because most of the houses over there were built in the 20s or 30s.  My house was built in 1918 so I wonder what stood here way back when too.  Once my dad was digging up the yard like he was in Murtosa so he can plant some couves and he found a very old gargoyle.  Where is it now?  He doesn't remember but I remember him finding it because it was scary as shit.

Corkscrews are probably made in China now.  I posted this blog to see if anyone searches for it on the web and finds this blog.  I'd love to know more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're Mean

 A close friend of mine said that to me the other day.     It's true I can be.    I can be very mean, cold and cutting.    It's a sa...