ads

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Newark, NJ.... The city of Industry. J Wiss & Sons

Or so it used to be.   I was born in Newark, NJ and lived here all my life but by the time I came along most of the industry was gone from Newark.  Nothing much gets made here anymore but crime scenes and Portuguese BBQ.   So, when I'm out on my shopping trips and find things like this:


Wiss  Newark, NJ




It makes me feel very proud that this city has a history of enterprise and hard work, rather than drugs and crime.   Maybe if all these factories were still around,  people would have jobs and wouldn't resort to crime and crack.  Just a thought.   Maybe if the riots of the 60's hadn't of happened, all the companies with all their money wouldn't of left.   I can go on and on but this is about vintage, not US trade policies.

It's not even about just being Made in Newark.  I'd be happy just to see more things that us American's buy that say Made in the USA.   We knew how to build things at one time and we knew how to build them so well that I can still find a pair of scissors over 30 years old that can cut my finger off in a second.  

Being a true vintage lover and inquisitive Aquarius I was giving this website with a blog about Wiss Co.  Learned so much about them and how they had a jewelry store at 555 Broad Street and West Park.  Apparently they were one of the largest jewelry firms in NJ.   They also had a  separate factory where they made the scissors that can last you forever if you keep them away from water.  I'm still trying to find out where that was, I left a comment on the blog hoping a family member gets back to me.  I'd love to drive by and see if any sign of it is still there.   


What a huge factory!  It was on Littleton Ave in Newark.  

Now it's this:



What a great story for Newark..... wish it was still standing.  


Pictures courtesy of J Wiss and Sons 






2 comments:

  1. loved this post!! Born and raised in Newark too, I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visited the Wiss factory somewhere in the early 60's maybe.....that place was a flurry of activity. You are right that we can make so much yet hardly anything is made here today. In the 70's on NJRR Ave, there were leather tanneries, Gem LP Records that still pressed out vinyl records. jewerly makers, sewing shops...all gone. It's nice to see a young collector of vintage things that appreciates Newark. Hey..in the 60's, in the back of Penn Station was this HUGE smoking Marlboro man on a billboard....a smoking billboard...was so cool. Now the Marlboro man can't even give out Marlboro miles on packs of cigarettes to get free Marlboro gear. And this IS a serious question...Edward O on 12 Corazones,,,is he really an astrologer??? I don't know. Take Care. Bill

    ReplyDelete

You're Mean

 A close friend of mine said that to me the other day.     It's true I can be.    I can be very mean, cold and cutting.    It's a sa...